Applications for RIEm 2024 are now closed. If you are interested in the RIEm 2025 edition, please contact us.
SME support for innovation funding through collaborative research and innovation (R&I)
Our trade mark protected initiative, Research, Innovate and Emerge (RIEm), is designed to support SMEs to access innovation funding for collaborative research and innovation (R&I), validate a technology or solution and grow your business. Since its launch in 2022, we have supported 48 UK SMEs and helped them secure around £1 million in total. RIEm went international with RIEm India in 2023. For details, please visit here.
Mirjana, First Edition RIEm Participant
Programme Outline and Experience of SMEs
Edward, Second Edition RIEm Participant
RIEm Second Edition SME Feedbacks
Brunel will help you with a research and innovation (R&I) needs assessment, and strengthen your capacity to develop R&I strategy, proposal development and joint collaborative proposal development for funding. We can also offer you expert mentoring and one to one support.
- Expert facilitation on R&I needs assessment, and support for developing organisational specific R&I strategy and implementation plan.
- Skills strengthening for developing collaborative funding proposal integrated with expert support and one-to-one mentoring.
SME selection criteria and required commitments:
- Registered businesses in the UK with evidence of financial expenditure/investment over £100,000 in the last financial year with limited or no success of securing funding for R&I.
- Have achieved the Technology Readiness Level (TRL) three of their proposed solution.
- Commitment to participate in three day workshops and receive up to five hours of expert mentoring support.
- Commitment to develop specific research and innovation strategy and concept note leading to potential collaborative proposal for funding.
- Minimum two full time staff employed in the organisation
- 15/01/2024 - Application Deadline
- 06/02/2024 – R&I Needs Assessment Worksop 12pm - 6pm
- 06/03/2024 – R&I Strategy Development Workshop 12pm - 6pm
- 23/04/2024 – R&I Proposal Development Workshop 10am - 6pm
The maxium number of participants:25; The seats are allocated on a first come first serve basis.
You will benefit from:
- three day workshops and
- up to five hours of expert mentoring support
- free expert consultancy and mentoring support to develop specific research and innovation strategy and joint collaborative proposal for funding
- introduction and exposure to funding partners and high potential for securing funds
- opportunity for strategic partnerships and access to a world leading university
- accelerated route to market possibilities
| Phase 1
| Phase 2
| Phase 3
| Phase 4
|R&I needs assessment
|R&I strategy development
|R&I proposal development
|R&I joint proposal submission
|Familiarization with R&I strategy. 1-to-1 Expert mentoring support.
|Development of R&I strategy. Awareness of funding sources. 1-to-1 Expert mentoring support.
|Development of draft R&I concept note. 1-to-1 Expert mentoring support.
|Development of a joint R&I proposal. Wider business impact. 1-to-1 Expert mentoring support.
Browse our case studies